August 12 | comments icon 0 COMMENTS     print icon print

6-ST-BRIDES

St Bride’s back in action after six month renovation

By Amanda Connelly

ST BRIDE’S Church, East Kilbride, reopened its doors to parishioners, with the parish celebrating its first Mass in the church for six months on August 4 and its first Sunday service on August 7.

St Bride’s had been closed for six months as it underwent extensive renovations, with the nearby St Andrew’s and St Bride’s High School hosting services while work was done on both its interior and exterior.

Last Sunday, parishioners came back to the church for the opening Mass, an extra special occasion for Fr Jacob Okafor of Nigeria, who was celebrating his 23rd anniversary of his ordination to the priesthood, and celebrated alongside Deacon John McGarry.

Fr Okafor is looking after the spiritual and pastoral needs of the parish while administrator Fr Rafal Sobieszuk is on holiday. Before he left however, Fr Sobieszuk celebrated the first Mass in the parish since it closed, a month’s mind Mass to remember Canon Michael Ryan, who served the parish of St Bride’s faithfully for 27 years.

Fittingly, it took place on the feast of St John Mary Vianney, patron saint of priests, and saw parishioners, those of neighbouring parishes, friends and priests join together to celebrate.

The Mass had a ‘joyful and meaningful liturgy’ with a homily by Fr Hennessy.

St Bride’s is more than 50 years old, and has been praised by architects, but was in need of a facelift. As part of a £2 million investment, the Category A-listed building had scaffolding and protective wrap placed around it during structural work.

Finishing touches are still to be done on the building’s interior but the renovations are due to be completed on schedule.

John Hastings, a member of the church and one of those who has been leading the fundraising efforts, said: “As far back as 2011 there was a sense that the church needed some major refurbishment.

“Plans were drawn up but they were stuck on the back burner for a few years until a £1 million community grant from Viridor came through.

“Further grants from the National Churches Trust for £40,000, along with funds from the Heritage Lottery Fund and Historic Scotland, helped make the much-needed restoration a reality.

“And the church itself has undertaken fundraising for the £210,000 balance.”

The original church of St Bride’s was East Kilbride’s first Catholic Church, opening its doors to parishioners in 1907, with the congregation moved to a temporary building for services until the new church was completed in 1955.

 

—This story ran in full in the August 12 edition print of the SCO, available in parishes.

 

Leave a Reply

latest news

Celtic’s new number 11: Lourdes volunteer presents grandson’s gift to Pope Francis

April 12th, 2019 | comments icon 0 COMMENTS

A seven-year-old boy from Glasgow and his Lourdes volunteer grandmother...


Glasgow parishioners call on council to protect parish from ‘intimidating’ Orange walk during Easter celebrations

April 12th, 2019 | comments icon 0 COMMENTS

Parishioners at two Glasgow parishes are urging councillors to ­protect...


Scotland’s first deacon in modern times dies aged 94

April 12th, 2019 | comments icon 0 COMMENTS

Deacon Jacques Cooke: December 16 1924¬—March 25 2019. — By Bill Mowat ...


Bishop’s praise after donations helps diocese reduce budget deficit

April 12th, 2019 | comments icon 0 COMMENTS

The bishop of Argyll and the Isles has issued a...




Social media

Latest edition

P1-APR-19-2019

exclusively in the paper

  • Parish refurb set to ‘light up Bishopbriggs’
  • Help boost pro-life vigil as Easter approaches
  • A moveable feast built upon a rock, By Gerald Warner
  • Hugh Dougherty explores how we can fill the pews on a Sunday
  • In the last of his Saintly Journeys through Lent series, Dr Harry Schnitker looks at the saints who have shown us the way of contrition

Previous editions

Previous editions of the Scottish Catholic Observer newspaper are only available to subscribed Members. To download previous editions of the paper, please subscribe.

note: registered members only.

Read the SCO