BY Daniel Harkins | February 26 | comments icon 0 COMMENTS     print icon print

7-ST-DOMINIC'S-ANNIVERSARY

Double celebration at Crieff primary

Pupils and staff of St Dominic’s Primary in Crieff had much to celebrate this month as they marked the 125th anniversary of the school and the 800th year of the Domincan Order instrumental in its creation.

Sr Pauline Burling, Mother General of the school’s founding order, was joined by Br Andrew Brookes and Headteacher Elizabeth Hunter, and school pupils and staff as Fr Tom Shields celebrated an anniversary Mass in the nearby St Fillan’s Church on February 14.

Bishop Stephen Robson of Dunkeld blessed a plaque to mark the anniversary, and he paid tribute to the long line of teachers who had served at the school and to the families who had sacrificed so much for their children’s future.

“Today you are the living continuity of all those boys and girls who have been a part of this community over all those years,” the bishop told pupils at the school.

Mrs Hunter thanked the generations of staff, families and parishioners who have played a vital role in St Dominic’s history.

“They have left us such a rich legacy and we look forward with hope for the future,” she said. “Our journey began 125 years ago when the first parents entrusted their children’s education to the Dominican nuns who had travelled to Crieff to establish a convent and school.

“Everyone is equally respected and unconditionally loved in a community which wants to reach out to all, especially the poor and the marginalised, and those in greatest need.”

Br Andrew recalled the school’s early days when it was founded by Mary Helen Elwes—later Mother Mary Ignatius—a local who joined the Dominican convent in Stone, Staffordshire, in 1870.

In 1919 the school came under the Perthshire Education Authority, and later, Perth and Kinross, lifting a financial burden from the parish. The generosity of the parish and the families nevertheless continues to the present day.

Chairman of the Parent Council Harry Schnitker, presented a new 125th Anniversary Trophy to the school, and said the school has a ‘strong tradition of support from the local community, and particularly the parish of St Fillan’s.’

—daniel@sconews.co.uk

— Pic: Andrew Mitchell

—This story ran in full in the February 26 edition print of the SCO, available in parishes.

 

Leave a Reply

latest youth stories

Carfin dad set to climb Scotland’s highest peak in memory of son Joe

April 12th, 2019 | comments icon 0 COMMENTS

A Motherwell Diocese parishioner is getting set to tackle Great Britain’s...


St Romero to inspire young people in Edinburgh

April 5th, 2019 | comments icon 0 COMMENTS

An Edinburgh church has secured funding for a project which...


Glasgow parish home to refugees highlights the joy they bring to communities

March 29th, 2019 | comments icon 0 COMMENTS

Refugees from 23 countries who found their home in a...


Anderston primary’s 100-year-old St Patrick statue gets a clean-up

March 22nd, 2019 | comments icon 0 COMMENTS

A 100-year-old statue of St Patrick was freshly renovated by...



Social media

Latest edition

P1-APR-19-2019

exclusively in the paper

  • Parish refurb set to ‘light up Bishopbriggs’
  • Help boost pro-life vigil as Easter approaches
  • A moveable feast built upon a rock, By Gerald Warner
  • Hugh Dougherty explores how we can fill the pews on a Sunday
  • In the last of his Saintly Journeys through Lent series, Dr Harry Schnitker looks at the saints who have shown us the way of contrition

Previous editions

Previous editions of the Scottish Catholic Observer newspaper are only available to subscribed Members. To download previous editions of the paper, please subscribe.

note: registered members only.

Read the SCO