BY Ryan McDougall | May 24 | comments icon 0 COMMENTS     print icon print

3-ORANGE

Orange walks rerouted after parishioners abused

Glasgow City Council have ordered the rerouting of four Orange marches that where set to pass a church outside of which the parish priest was attacked last year.

The move was made after ‘significant’ concerns were lodged by Police Scotland and follows anti-Catholic abuse being aimed at parishioners as an Orange walk passed the church on Saturday.

The Apprentice Boys of Derry and the Dalmarnock No Surrender Branch Club were to march on Saturday June 1 and the Dalmarnock Orange and Purple District 50 and the Orange and Purple District 37 were to parade on June 2.

All four of the marches were scheduled to pass St Alphonsus’ Church on London Road where Canon Tom White was attacked last year.

Police said they were concerned for the local community, thus prompting the council to reroute all four of the marches.

Two Orange marches have so far passed the church this year, with parishioners standing in protest against each one, supported by campaign group Call it Out.

Last week, parishioners were abused as ‘fenian b*****s’ as an Orange walk passed the church.

A spokesperson for Call it Out said: “We are delighted to say that the four marches in less than 24 hours due to take place on June 1 and 2 are now going to be rerouted.

“Our deepest thanks go to everyone who has supported the protests. Your actions have been successful in showing [Glasgow City Council] that things must change.

“Your conduct has been peaceful, dignified in face of abuse and ultimately powerful. We must continue this campaign until all Catholics in Scotland are free from intimidation from anti-Catholic forces.”

Although the march has been rerouted, organisers have been informed they have 72 hours to appeal the decision.

A spokesperson for Glasgow City Council said: “Police have raised significant concern about the impact of these marches and counter protests—both on the local community and their own resources.

The council’s decision to re-route the processions is proportionate and maintains the participants’ right to assembly while addressing those concerns.”

A spokesman for the Grand Orange Lodge of Scotland claimed the decision makes ‘certain streets are no-go zones to Protestants,’ adding: “The Orange Order has made its position quite clear, we are an organisation that proudly supports and promotes our own heritage, religion and culture. Being pro-Protestant does not make us anti-Catholic.”

Leave a Reply


Social media

Latest edition

P1-JUN-21-2019

exclusively in the paper

    • Pupils turn to parish to rescue prom
    • ‘Terrible’ cost to St Mirin’s Cathedral as thieves steal lead from roof
    • ‘True progress’ needed on safeguarding policy, review group says
    • Glasgow parish marks 40 years of Justice and Peace Scotland
    • Catholics called to support Bethlehem students

Previous editions

Previous editions of the Scottish Catholic Observer newspaper are only available to subscribed Members. To download previous editions of the paper, please subscribe.

note: registered members only.

Read the SCO