BY Peter Diamond | September 3 | comments icon 0 COMMENTS     print icon print

8 - OO2

Church welcomes council decision to re-route Orange walk away from Gallowgate again

Police Scotland said the likelihood of “significant protests” would increase once details of the proposed route on September 8 were made public.

The Catholic Church in Glasgow has welcomed another decision by the council to re-route an orange walk away from St Alphonsus’ Church in the Gallowgate this weekend.

At a meeting of the public processions committee today, Monday September 3, Glasgow City Council enforced the decision which means the Rising Star of Bridgeton Royal Black Preceptory band will not march past the Catholic Church where a priest was assaulted.

A Glasgow City Council spokeswoman said: “A Public Processions Committee held this afternoon imposed an alternative route on a proposed march by the Rising Star of Bridgeton Royal Black Preceptory No. 672. It will not pass St Alphonsus’ church.

“Committee heard evidence from Police Scotland that disorder was likely should the march take place on the original route – requiring around 20 times the number of officers that would otherwise attend.

Common sense prevailed

“The new route for the parade, scheduled to take place from 10am on Saturday, is Tullis St, Main St, Olympia St, London Rd, Fielden St, Millerston St, Duke St, George St, Montrose St, Cochrane St and into George Square for a wreath-laying service. The return route will be George Square, George St, Duke St, Millerston St, Fielden St, London Rd, Olympia St, Main St and Tullis St.”

A Glasgow Archdiocese spokesman said: “We are grateful that common sense has prevailed.

“The re-routing of the march will bring relief to the people of St Alphonsus parish and the surrounding area, who viewed with anxiety and fear the prospect of another march past the church so soon after the disgraceful scenes earlier this summer.”

Canon Tom White was allegedly “spat on” and “verbally abused” outside St Alphonsus’ Church on London Road on July 7. A man, 24, has appeared in court in connection with the incident.

Public safety

Today’s decision comes after the Grand Orange Lodge cancelled a parade on August 25 after the council banned them from passing St Alphonsus’ Church in light of recent tensions.

Police said the likelihood of “significant protests” would increase once details of the proposed route on September 8 were made public.

In a submission to the council, Superintendent John McBride said: “This parade causes a serious concern for the police in terms of public order and ­disruption to the life of the community.

“This is because it can be reasonably expected that there will be a significant protest to the parade should it occur.”

He added he would have to deploy extra officers to ensure the safety of the public.

He said: “It is my view that the resources which would be required to police the parade would be disproportionate to the numbers involved in the parade.”

Leave a Reply


Social media

Latest edition

P1-NOV-16-2018

exclusively in the paper

  • Government celebration of 1918 catholic schools act
  • Global fertility rates sink to shocking low in 91 countries
  • Weekend of events to launch Pax Christi Scotland
  • It’s a privilege to serve, says new deacon
  • Tributes pour in for ‘wise and witty’ ecumenical churchman

Previous editions

Previous editions of the Scottish Catholic Observer newspaper are only available to subscribed Members. To download previous editions of the paper, please subscribe.

note: registered members only.

Read the SCO