BY Ian Dunn | September 1 | comments icon 0 COMMENTS     print icon print

9-POPE-FRANCIS-SEATED

Italy takes Islamic State threat on Pope seriously

In spite of Vatican’s lack of immediate concern, the Italian government has announced terror alert amid fears for country and Holy See. UK also heightens terror alert

New reports have surfaced of a possible Islamic State (ISIS) attack on Pope Francis following the Vatican statement last week saying there were no current concerns about the Holy Father’s safety.

An Italians newspaper reported last week that that the Holy Father was a target of ISIS, citing an unnamed Italian intelligence source. The Vatican, however, immediately denounced the concerns, calling them unfounded despite growing fear in Italy that it is not just the Pope who is under threat.

“There is nothing serious to this,” Vatican spokesman Fr Federico Lombard said. “There is no particular concern in the Vatican.”

The Italian government, however, has made contradictory statements after Italy issued a nationwide terror alert.

Filippo Bubbico, Italy’s deputy interior minister, said Rome and the Vatican could be a target and that ‘ISIS poses an international and European security threat and we in Italy feel particularly exposed.’

“ISIS could launch terrorist attacks on what they referred to as ‘sensitive targets’ in Rome and elsewhere, specifically pinpointing embassies to both Italy and the Holy See, Catholic churches, bus and train stations, sea ports, airports and travel agencies,” he said. “Other security measures include restricting air space above Vatican City and Italy’s foreign ministry, in addition to stepped-up police presence in public transportation hubs and busy tourist sites like the Coliseum, the Spanish Steps and St Peter’s Square.”

The UK Government has also said it believes it could be the target of a terrorist plot, with Prime Minister David Cameron planning to announce plans to widen anti-terrorism laws later today in response.

 

—ian@sconews.co.uk

 

Leave a Reply

latest news

Hundreds gather at Carfin Grotto to remember the devout example of Joe Wilson

August 23rd, 2019 | comments icon 0 COMMENTS

Catholics gathered at Carfin grotto to pray for a devout...


Lessons for Scotland from the relics tour of St Thérèse to England and Wales a decade ago

August 23rd, 2019 | comments icon 0 COMMENTS

Two organisers of the 2009 visit of the relics of...


New qualification will boost RE teacher numbers in Catholic schools amid shortfall

August 23rd, 2019 | comments icon 0 COMMENTS

A new qualification that aims to boost the number of...


Arbroath parish raises four figure sum for charities and church repairs on annual walk

August 23rd, 2019 | comments icon 0 COMMENTS

Parishioners in Arbroath have raised £1,000 and counting for refugees...




Social media

Latest edition

P1-AUG-23-2019

exclusively in the paper

  • Grandparents’ pilgrimage puts prayer at the heart of family life
  • Bellshill parish welcome ‘time for peace’ at Carfin
  • Festival praise for those who ‘create beauty’
  • Former Dundee care home to be demolished following sale
  • The site of this forgotten Babylon

Previous editions

Previous editions of the Scottish Catholic Observer newspaper are only available to subscribed Members. To download previous editions of the paper, please subscribe.

note: registered members only.

Read the SCO